Monday, January 30, 2012

How to Move to Sweden: "THE PLAN"


“The Plan” is actually in quotation marks and all caps because when you read it in your head, you should use the most powerful and grandiose voice you can come up with! Obviously, hopping on a plane in an impulse and just staying in Sweden without a clue is not the best idea (though I would go with it if I could :D). Moving abroad requires a fair amount of changes, details and bureaucracy; and in order to have all of that clear, defined and approachable, a plan must be made:  


A plan constitutes the vertebral column of the dream that you’ll make come true. Otherwise you’re just left wanting something without an idea of what to do to get it.

Said plan will vary greatly depending on the person and the way they arrange to move to Sweden. Since my intention is to go study there, the structure I’ve followed and will continue to is this:

1.       Finding out why you want to move to Sweden (check!)
2.       Finding your legal niche:
a)      Studying  (check!)
b)      Working
c)       Moving with a significant other
d)      Refugee
3.       Save save save! (in process)
4.       Learn the Language (in process)
5.       Gather all the necessary documentation, which in my case will be:
a)      To apply for university
b)      To apply for scholarships
6.       Apply and wait for an answer
7.       Apply for a student Visa
8.       Find housing
9.       Get my butt to Sweden!

There’s no need to say that all of this requires a ridiculous amount of investigation. And boy, I’ve done a lot of that! I’ve read until my brain feels like a melting pot of chocolate and raisins. And hopefully I’ll be able to transmit some of that useful information to you.

After that, comes the second part of the plan, which is to find a job that will eventually lead me to stay in Sweden and live there happily forever :D But of course, first I have to accomplish all of the previous steps, which I plan to do over the next 2 years.

Over the following posts I will elaborate on how I’ve done some of these things, or am doing, or will do. So don’t forget to come back every once in a while! See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment